Job Posting Title
Lead Activity Leader
Ray-Cam Co-operative Association
October 2, 2017
CUPE Local 15 Bargaining Unit (VMECW)
Position Start Date
October 16, 2017
Position End Date
October 31, 2018
PAY Grade 15: $24.32 – $28.59
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Childcare and Family Programmer this position will be responsible to oversee the operation of a childcare room or designated area, supervise delivery of the program curriculum and oversee the day to day operations of the assigned childcare area for children in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible for working with the supervisor and staff to establish and maintain daily, weekly and monthly childcare program curriculum, and to deliver activities to promote child development and learning for individual children. This will include ensuring opportunities for typical and extra support needs children are integrated in an inclusive setting and those activities and procedures comply with childcare licensing requirements. The incumbent will handle administrative details related to the assigned childcare program, directs staff team, students and volunteers and with the supervisor liaise with various service, community groups and professionals regarding program or participants needs. The position oversees staff in delivering a variety of activities for pre-school children; organizes and modifies daily activities, and routines; assists in identifying children with special needs; informs parents of their child’s progress and concerns; and sets up care plans for children. This position enforces rules and regulations; ensures that required health precautions, licensing requirements and safety standards are observed; and deals with concerns or issues when they arise in a timely manner.
- Completion of Early Childhood Education (ECE) Basic Level Certificate is required, with a current license. A Special Needs Certificate is preferred.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Criminal Record Clearance.
- Up to three (3) years of related working experience in a minimum of two (2) childcare settings.
- Previous experience supervising or leading a childcare team for a minimum of two (2) years.
- Knowledge of community healthcare resources and childcare licensing requirements; philosophy and objectives of a community daycare program.
- Knowledge of behaviour, needs and interests of preschool children.
- Experience in implementing a daycare curriculum and activities for typical and special needs children.
- Previous experience and documentation around child protection issues.
- Knowledge of safety practices, policies and regulations applicable to the work performed.
- Experience in supervising and directing staff, students and volunteers; experience supporting families in crisis situation and assisting with making appropriate referrals.
- Ability to monitor activities and behaviour of participants; lead groups and provide basic instructions in a various activities.
- Ability to liaise with relevant professionals and other groups.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare a variety of reports; set up individual care plans; complete tasks related to the administration of a childcare program and to work in a team environment.
- Previous experience working in the Downtown Eastside, multi-ethnic, low-income community preferred.
- A class 4 driver’s license and second language would be an asset.
Shifts will vary between 7:00 am-6:00 pm, Monday to Friday, within two childcare centres.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line to read Childcare Hiring Committee.