Special Needs Support Contract Worker – Supporting children with a variety of Special Needs – 2 Positions
At Ray-Cam Co-operative Centre we support many children who require extra support in our various childcare programs. Our childcare programs range in age from 3-5 years of age (Licensed Daycare) to 5-12 years of age (Licensed Out of School Care Program). Ray-Cam Centre is running essential childcare services throughout the summer for children in our community. COVID-19 protocols are in place to keep our children, staff and community as safe as possible.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Family and Childcare Coordinator, the Special Needs Support Contract Worker is responsible for providing support to individuals with a variety of special needs in our licensed childcare programs. You will help create an inclusive and supportive environment for the child to thrive and learn in our program.
• Providing one-to-one support
• To assist in the development of an inclusive environment (staff teams and children included)
• To assist in modifying any activities that helps the child’s developmental and social learning
• To work independently and as a team member
• To help support the children and staff team with crisis, behaviour management and other related duties.
• Service coordination support either formally or informally.
• Direct support to individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder including 1:1 teaching sessions, groups, workshops, and the development and implementation of teaching strategies in the various programs
• Liaison with families and community groups and partner agencies in a professional fashion.
• Post-secondary education in Human / Social Services/ Child Development/ Early Childhood Education
• Minimum 3 years experience working with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder/developmental disabilities/behavioural needs/ADD/ADHD/FASD in a community based setting as well as experience working closely with families and with community agencies.
• Strong knowledge of and experience supporting individuals with special needs in childcare programs
• Experience working in an inner city community setting with children exhibiting a variety of challenging behaviours
• Good knowledge of respective communities and formal and informal resources.
• Knowledge and practical experience with support approaches often found to be helpful in support to children with ASD (i.e. social stories/sensory needs/communication aids/applied behaviour analysis/environmental modifications).
• Ability to develop and implement support approaches and model these approaches to staff members
• Support the staff team with care plans and goal planning
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be 19 years or older
• Clearance from a criminal record check
This is a contract worker position for September – December 2020, with possibility of extension. This contract position pays up to $30.00 per hour. Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 25-30 hours a week and shifts can vary between 830am-6pm.
Please apply with a cover letter and resume via email to the Childcare and Family Coordinator at email@example.com no later than September 4, 2020. We thank everyone for their applications, only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.